What are the side effects of Duromine?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Duromine and side effects
I have just started 5 days ago taking duromine 30mg. I have found over the last two days my urine stream has not been as strong as before. I still pass it but it takes longer. Is this a serious side effect that I need to stop taking the tablets and see my gp?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Duromine is associated with dysuria though a weak urine stream is not a frequently reported side effect.

The drug has no serious withdrawal effects so you can stop it for now to see for improvement of symptoms. If the symptoms persist despite stopping the medication then a renal ultrasound and urine routine examination plus culture sensitivity along with urodynamic studies can be advised in consultation with your doctor to determine the cause.

please consult your doctor before taking any further course of action

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 29 minutes later
Thank you for the information
1. In the medication fact sheet is says the following.
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:

sudden or rapid weight loss
difficulty breathing
chest pain
fainting
swelling of the lower limbs
or if you can not exercise as much as you usually can
dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth
difficulty passing urine
skin rashes
impotence
changes in sexual drive
swelling of the face

This is why I contacted you.
So if I stop the medication and the passing of urine improves back to normal, do you think I can go back on and just put up with this side effect?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

That would most likely mean that the medication is responsible rather than an organic cause.

The drug can still be restarted to see if the effect subsides. However if it's bothersome and leads to urinary retention symptoms then it should be preferably stopped in consult with your treating physician.

wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil