• question-icon

What are the side effects of Dilaudid overdose?

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Pain Management
Question: Hi, I have been taking Dilaudid not as it was prescribed and in extreme doses. To the point of finishing almost 60 tabs of 4 msg in 5-6 days. Now I'm scared of the side effects. I haven't had any so far so I stopped taking it. Should I be concerned as to the side affects at this time.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not as much as from taking it

Detailed Answer:
ten dilaudid a day is a hazardous dose. the fundamental key point is that overdosing can kill someone but opiate withdrawal is not fatal.
withdrawal starts within 24 hrs and peaks at3 days and starts to dwindle by about 1 week. symptoms include abdominal and general hyperactivity.
this is demonstrated as nausea vomiting and diarrhea and abdominal cramps also shakes and sweats.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist