What are the side effects of Diacerin?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Follow up question for Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX with regard to the medication he prescribed - Does Diacerin have any side effects? on liver or so? Do I need to take any precautions while I am consuming the medicine? Strangely ever since I am consuming the medicine, urine is dark yellowish despite drinking lots of water.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dark yellow urine is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and intense yellow coloring of urine are the common side effects of Diacerin. These are self limiting and harmless side effects.
No special precautions are needed while taking this medicine. Just take the medicine after food to reduce the nausea.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
what exactly is the role of Diacerin? How does it help in the case of my meniscus degeneration issue?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Diacerin will act as a knee joint lubricant and will decrease the wear and tear and inflammation of the knee joint. It will retard the further degenerative changes in the joint and will allow the previous changes to heal spontaneously with time. You will have to continue taking these for at least 5-6 months to get the best results.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
ok..but the side effects that u mentioned. With those is it safe to continue taking for so long? Dr. XXXXXXX advised 3 months when he prescribed. And how long should I take CCM?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
6 Months.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The side effects are mild and do not produce any adverse effect if taken after food. Since the healing and tissue regeneration is a slow process it needs to be continued for so long to have the best effect. You can have a clinical review of the symptoms after taking the treatment for 3 months. CCM tablets can be continued till you have complete relief. These can also be continued for 4-6 months.
Regards.