What are the side effects of Clonazepam?
four hours. Lately I've been wondering if that is safe. I have a very high tolerance with
Clonazepam is known to worsen cognitive impairment in individuals
Hello thanks for choosing HCM for your health related queries
I can understand your concern. Klonopin is Clonazepam and the drug belongs to benzodiazepines group of drug. Usual doses are 0.5 mg to 1 mg per day (though in some high doses are needed) and the drug should be used on SOS basis only or should not be used regularly for long term basis. Though it is not associated with any very serious side effects but development of tolerance, dependence and high abuse potential are main reasons that the drug use should be limited.
The drug is known to worsen cognitive impairment and it may accelerate the progression to dementia. You are 62 years old and as per my opinion you should consider tapering the doses of the drug gradually. Though even 4 mg doses per day are safe but these doses may worsen the memory and other cognitive functions. In usual circumstances doses should be reduced gradually by about 20% every 2-4 weeks and then after progressive tapering of doses use can be stopped completely at the end of 10-12 weeks. As you are taking the drug since last 10 years so you would need long time for complete tapering. Visit a doctor nearby for proper tapering of doses of drug if possible.
I hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the side effects of escitalopram oxalate and clonazepam
- Is hyperventilation a side effect of clonazepam?
- Clonazepam withdrawal side effects
- Is shivering a side effect of clonazepam?
- Is nightmares a side effect of clonazepam?
- Common side effects of clonazepam
- Is excitement a side effect of clonazepam?
- Rivotril clonazepam side effects
- Clonazepam dangers side effects
- Normal side effects of clonazepam