What are the side effects of Candid soap?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Is there any side effect in using Candid soap [clotrimazole]. I am a 40 year old male in good health but I am getting itches near groin, feet etc sometimes.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generally it is safe to use

Detailed Answer:

Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Good evening.

Used in the treatment of fungal infection of the skin, Candid soap which contains antifungal drug Clotrimazole is generally safe. However, in susceptible individuals it can cause skin irritation resulting in rash, burning sensation, itching, peeling of the skin, redness or stinging.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 7 days later
Thanks. I have no infection now. Can this soap be used as a regular bathing soap. I have never had reaction to Candid B cream or Candid dusting powder [used when I had an itch earlier].
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a medicated soap.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Since this is a medicated soap which contains antifungal drug Clotrimazole, it is usually recommended only if there is fungal infection.
If you are comfortable with it, no irritation or allergic reaction, there is no harm in using it as a general soap.

Hope this information helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 17 minutes later
Will it cause any issues internally. I had read that the drug Clotrimazole is metabolised via liver. I have an issue of elevated uric acid and take one Feburic 40 mg tablet every night. I hope there will be no internal side effects.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects are mainly confined to the skin.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your reply and the concern regarding the safety of Clotrimazole.

Following its use in the form of a soap, it is less likely that the Clotrimazole gets absorbed INTERNALLY into your systemic circulation (blood) and thus to reach the liver for metabolism.
So, if at all it can cause LOCALIZED reversible skin reaction in the form of burning sensation, stinging, irritation & redness.

Anyways it is better to use a non-medicated soap in daily life.

Hope this information helps.
Best regards.