What are the side effects of Berberine?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Pre Diabetes Is Berberine safe when watching meds that might interfere with kidneys? Is there another holistic supplement to help ward off diabetes for someone 87 yrs old?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes Berberine is safe. This will prevent overt Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,

Powdered/sprouted fenugreek is said to help.

And, no there is no other holistic supplement that can ward of Diabetes.

But for you I would recommend a very low dose of metformin--like 250 mg twice or thrice a day since at your age it is very difficult choosing appropriate diet.

Please discuss this with your doctor as he will like to make sure your kidneys are fine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D