What are the side effects of Bactrim?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello

Im currently taking bactrim ds for UTI or Possibly prostate infection and augmentin
for developing dry cough that I am starting to get from a flu that I just had .

I am leaving on vacation next Thursday and my doctor proscribed me 10 days
augumnetin unfortunately I am not planing to take all 10 days

My plan is to take them till Wednesday which would make this about 6 day course

So my question is what you think ? will this dose be sufficient to destroy that
bacteria and for me to enjoy my vacation ?

Bactirm DS I will be finished with by Wednesday so Im ok with that one.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can't be sure

Detailed Answer:

it's not easy to say what will happen if you don't take it as prescribed because only your doctor knows your condition exactly. I can make some comments (useful hopefully!) about your case though.

Most respiratory tract infection which present with dry cough are viral in etiology, which means that no antibiotic may help. Besides that, you were taking Bactrim which is effective against many pathogens, which further decreases your risk for having contracted a bacterial infection.

It also has to do with the type of infection you have. For example, if you have pneumonia 6 days are not enough, but if you have tonsilitis 6 days of augmentin may suffice (more are needed normally).

Finally some clinical details may be very important to form a decision. If you have high fever then deciding to stop the antibiotic might be risky. If you have no fever then you're probably safe.

So in conclusion, although I cannot be sure about your case, for a case like yours stopping the antibiotic earlier would be probably acceptable.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
See i dont have feaver i still feel quite tired from the flue , and im starting to feel
Cough truing to come up on me from my chest . Last year i had simular cough and it took me two months to get rid of it with antibiotics. So i asked my doctor if antibiotics were good idea just in case
This light cough turned into bronchitis
Or some other thing .

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
the cough may be persistent sometimes

Detailed Answer:
I see. Sometimes the cough may be persistent particularly in persons with asthma or smokers but everybody can be affected by post-infectious cough. Post-infectious cough may last for up to 2 months after the infection is over, and is rarely helped by antibiotics. Most infections do not "evolve" into something else.

Please note though that if you do have a bacterial infection (particularly of the lungs, pneumonia that is) the 6 days treatment would be short. In any other case it can be considered adequate but not complete. And I remind you that if it's a viral illness then the antibiotic makes no change to its course!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!