What are the side effects of Amitryptyline ?

Dr. Sumanth.P

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I am an alcoholic but do not drink any more,for over a year now and am reducing from 80mg of librium a day to 40-50mg.I am also diabetic,type 1,insulin dependent.This has caused myopathy.I also take Atenolol,Co-Codamol 30/50mg,Omeprazole,Humalog Mix25,Vit B strong,Thiamin Hydrochloride and have recently been put on Amitrtyline for muscle pain in my lower calfs.Recently since taking the Amitriptyline I have suffered from much more pain in my calves and very swollen ankles.Having to see two different doctors the last one advised my to double my Amitrptyline to 20mg twice a day.As they are prescribed regarding my height 5ft and weight 6st 2lb do you think this is wise?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later
Hello Theresajepson,

Nice to hear from you regarding reduction of alcohol quantity.

Amitryptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant.

It is also used for varied conditions other than depression like fibromyalgic pain and chronic pains.

For pain the usual daily dosage limit is 10 - 50mg.

So it is not a overdose which is suggested by your doctor.

And you will not have actual effect of the drug if taken in low dosage.

So the dosage suggested based on your height and weight is correct.

Since you addressed that your pain has increased since the time you are on this drug, you need to intimate it to your doctor before starting the double dose.

It needs to be evaluated as to what would be the cause for non relief of your pain.

Amitriptyline has varied side effects.

But they manifest only with overdose.

you are in no way on higher dose, so the probability for the cause of your pain might not be this medicine.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E