What are the side effect of cardizem and lisinopril overdose?

Posted on Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What can be the Effect of taking 5000 mgs of cardizem 500 mgs of metropol and several hundred mgs of lisinopril I have a concern of someone
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic.

The doses of the medication that you have mentioned are extremely XXXXXXX and should never be consumed by anyone. I'm not sure why you are asking such a question knowing very well that it can be potentially XXXXXXX to take such large doses of medication. If you or some person you know is having any ideas of self harming or suicide, then please seek help immediately. You should call the emergency hotline or the suicide prevention hotline immediately for further help and guidance.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 13 hours later
yes i realize they are XXXXXXX i am just asking from a medical standpoint what would be the situation one would encounter by doing such. What would the symptoms be, would it be painful, would they die with or without medical intervention etc. Perhaps I should have directed this question to a internist or cardiologist I am not sure please respond
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 13 hours later
Hello again,

The medication which you have mentioned are anti-hypertensive / cardiac medication:

Cardizem (Diltiazem) causes lowering of blood pressure, dilatation of blood vessels and a lowering of heart rate.

Metoprolol causes a lowering of blood pressure and a decrease in heart rate.

Lisinopril is an anti-hypertensive and is also used for treating cardiac and renal complications.

If these medication are taken in the doses which you have mentioned, they can cause severe hypotension (lowering of blood pressure), bradycardia (abnormally low heart rate), breathing difficulty, weakness, dizziness, black-outs, abnormal heart rythms, seizures, congestive cardiac failure, cardiac arrest and even death. The doses of the medication which you have mentioned are sufficient to be lethal, that is, without urgent medical intervention, they can result in death.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist