What are the shoulder replacement surgical procedures?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: question for bone specialist
I will require a shoulder joint replacement due to bone on bone arthritis. There may be some rotator cuff damage and I know tendons do not all go where they should.
What are the recover steps?
Duration?
Exercise regime?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.

Shoulder replacement is done generally by two methods - Normal replacement ( like normal anatomy) and Reverse shoulder arthroplasty where the anatomy is reversed and is done more often.
Every surgeon has his own regime towards recovery steps and other things. But in general mobilization is started within few days which is assisted and as the muscle strength improves ,non assisted exercises and more weight lifting is allowed . The whole process may take few months.

I hope this helps you in preparing for the surgery. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 11 hours later
"assisted" meaning using my other arm or am I advised too have a physio-therapist or some such person and for how long?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes , you are right.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes you are right for both , using other arm and assistance from physio or some such person .It will be required till you have adequate control of your shoulder and upper limb- meaning you have pain free shoulder strong enough to be lifted by yourself. Also ,the progress depends on your physical condition .
Thanx for the question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D