What are the risks of getting HIV infection?

Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: That day in the hospital, doctors were able to (somehow) that my friend is infected only for about a month.
I know I have to do another test.
But it reduces the risk he for me please?
Thank you.
J.Michel
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please furnish more information.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the question . I am Dr Matin and will be very happy to answer it.

The amount of information provided is not adequate. Will you please provide more information about how do you think you are at risk when your friend has been declared 'positive' one month ago.

Looking forward for information.
Be safe and healthy .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 2 hours later
Thank you doctor
I had 8 sexual relationship for 6 weeks with a girl.
We practiced the buccal, vaginal and anal sex.
My last relationship was three days before the test.
My test is negative but the test is positive a girl.

In the hospital, the doctor confirmed that she is positive for about one month.
I am now very afraid of being contaminated.

I have to wait six weeks to validate or not validate my negative result.
What are my risk doctor knowing that 1% is already big.
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV is not easily transmitted

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your information.
You have not mentioned whether the sexual activities were with or without protection (condoms) as the sexual relationship with HIV positive persons through vaginal/ anal route without protection(condoms) are certainly high risk activities , though oral sex is considered relatively lower risk.
The risk of acquiring HIV through different modalities can be anything between 1.4 % for anal to 0.04-0.08 % for vaginal sex.
Newer HIV tests (4th Generation tests are duo tests --which test HIV antibodies and p24 antigen as well ) pick up 95 % infection at 28 days and almost 100 % at 90 days and that's why the recommendation is to test at 90 days for final confirmation.
So as such you will need to do test at 28 days and finally at 90 days post exposure .
HIV transmission is not that easy though , there are lot of variables required to be present for a successful transmission of HIV - they are : whether the infection is new/old , the viral load of the HIV + person, immune status of the exposed host , usage of protection , no of partners and presence of other STDs . On these counts there is not very much information available, so don't go by 1 % risk , and from my side, don't worry much as stated earlier there are lot of factors required for a successful transmission ( that is why it is called 'Acquired' --it has to be acquired through hard work). Even the efficiency of transmission of HIV from female to male is less than female to male. Plus the best part is that your base report is negative and the bottom line is that you can know about status of the infection only by testing . So- think positive , take a good nap everyday , take balanced diet and do little exercises daily --these all increase the immunity and go for testing as required by the protocol .
Hope this helps in allaying your anxiety.
Pl feel free to ask further questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj