What are the risks of a tortuous esophagus?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: what are the risks of a tortuous esophagus?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mainly risk of gerd associated problems

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,

Welcome to healthcaremgic.

If a person has tortuous oesphagus then they have following risk
1) GERD- this is most commonly seen due to change in angle between oesphagus and stomach.
2)hiatus hernia- this may be seen or may not be . Here there will be pouch of stomach coming inside chest cavity.
3)perforation of oesophagus due to increased motility
4)problems in normal movement of food towards stomach.

As GERD is developed it is known to cause many problems including oesophagitis (erosion of mucosa), barrets(mucosa changes to other type), more prone for cancer changes over several years after developing GERD.

In your case i would suggest you to consult your doctor and get the band removed as it may errode the oesophagus.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
I DO HAVE A BULGE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY UPPER ABDOMEN. IT FEELS SOFT AND SUSHY AND IT APPROXIMATELY THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL. I EXPERIENCE A LOT OF SENSATION IN MY ESOPHAGUS AFTER EATING OR DRINKING. IN THE PAST WEEK I HAVE NAUSEA A FEW TIMES. THIS MORNING I EXPERIENCE NAUSEA DOING EXERCISE OF DEEP KNEE BENDS WITH A KETTLE BELL OF 10 LBS EXTENDING FROM MY CHEST DOWN TO THE FLOOR.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
that bulge could be from esophagus

Detailed Answer:

The soft, qsushy bulge that you are feeling could be your esophagus and the nausea feeling on bending down may be due to the reflux of stomach contents into the dilated esophagus via the lax sphincter.

But a clinical examination is a must to confirm these.

If you would have been my patient, I would had asked you to get a endoscopy done to assess the exact status and then planned further accordingly.

So i want that you consult a gastro specialist and get an endoscopy done so that proper treatment can be given to you.

Till then avoid doing things that put pressure on your abdomen.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO VISIT A DIGESTIVE HEALTH SPECIALIST. I AM CERTAIN THEY WILL SHCEDULE AN ENDOSCOPY. IS THERE ANY FOODS THAT I SHOULD AVOID DURING THE TIME WAITING FOR THE APPOINTMENT?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
avoid tea, coffee

Detailed Answer:

Till your endoscopy you should avoid tea, coffee, spicy and fried foods, chocolates and alcohol. As these all will cause gastritis and increase reflux.

And don't lie down for about two hours after a meal and don't eat full stomach, eat a little less than your regular diet.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad