question-icon

What are the risks involved with a RASPA procedure?

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012
Question: I HAVE A GIRL FRIEND IN PHILIPPINES WHO MUST UNDERGO A 'RASPA PROCEDURE' AS A OUTPATIENT...
SHE IS 38 YRS OLD, A VIRGIN, DONT KNOW IF ANY BLOOD WORK HAS BEEN DONE, HAS BEEN BLEEDING FOR A MONTH, NO INSURANCE, BUT IS SCARED STIFF...WHAT ARE THE RISKS?

THANKYOU
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (4 hours later)
Hello

Thanks for the query

RASPA procedure or otherwise called dilatation and curettage is a fairly simple procedure which will be done under a local or a regional anesthesia.

This procedure has both diagnostic and therapeutic importance. But in your girlfriend's case it is a therapeutic procedure done to stop bleeding.

A small curette will be taken and the lining of the uterus will be scraped off after dilating her cervix. This will help her to stop bleeding

1. It is a fairly simple procedure and usually has not complications
2. Excessive curreting can perforate her uterus but this almost never occurs these days
3. Her periods might become irregular for the first month
4. If she is a virgin then she will lose her hymen
5. Lower abdominal pain will be present for 2 days which can be easily tackled by medicines

These are the things you can expect from RASPA procedure. If you have more queries regarding it then please do reply.

I wish you and your girlfriend good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist