What are the risks involved in conceiving after abortion?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: hi doctor i wanted to know something about risk to conceive after abortion
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
After a single missed abortion, ideally you should give a time gap of at least three months before you try for conception again to give time for your health to recover.

In case there is a history of recurrent abortions, a thorough evaluation is needed before planning a baby. The prognosis and chances of having a successful pregnancy depends on the actual cause.

If the recurrent abortions are seen in first trimester ( before 12 weeks), then causes like infection, chromosomal defects, immunological disorders, hormonal problems, etc need to be ruled out.
If recurrent abortions in second trimester are encountered, then cervical incompetence is a more common cause.

You need to consult your gynecologist to determine actual cause of abortion so that further treatment can be instituted for a successful pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.