• question-icon

What are the risks involoved in a bone marrow transplantation?

Posted on Thu, 13 Nov 2014 in Cancer
Question: Thanks a Lot Doctor for getting back to me. My Mom is fine now. For the bone marror transplantation, test has been done and my uncle (Mom's brother has a matching i.e 10/10). We have given blood sample for both my mom and uncle for test. We are waiting for the result,most probably this friday we would get that. Doctor suggested for a opinion with cardiologist,Dentist,ENT,Pulmonlogy,Kidney for my Mom. Everybody gave go ahead for transplantation. Doctor said 5-6 weeks hospitalisation might be requried. Post that 3 months is critical he said. He has suggested to stay close to hospital so that if any issue,we can reach him and he can attend my Mom with 15-20mins.

1. Doctor told it is necessary to be like this(stay near hospital for early attention) for almost 1 year. Why this is required?
2. Even after transplantation do we see any risk and issue?
3. We stay in quaters which is located near Cement Factory. Does the population cause issue? Like Even after complete treatment is it fine to stay or shift to better place?

Otherwise she is fine. Now she is able to eat solid foods also.
Thanks once again for such a valuable feedback.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, transplant seems possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for followup.

My answers to your queries...

A. because the patient will be on immunity suppressing drugs and this can cause problems like infections.

A. Yes, as I said earlier, complications from transplant like infections, graft versus host disease or relapse of the leukemia are the main risks.

A. if there is lot of dust then that place should be avoided

Hope this helps.
Best wishes and regards

Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 16 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor for your valuable reply.

Is there any specific diet that has to be followed for Mom?

After the treatment will she be able to all normal things as before?

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, please refer below

Detailed Answer:
diet needs to be contamination free as there is risk of infection. Her doctor and nutritionist may formulate a proper diet plan for her.

yes, she will be able to do all things normally after treatment is over.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist