What are the risk of sexually transmitted diseases after protected intercourse?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Its been over a year since i had unprotected oral sex with a prostitute for less than one minute, then proceeded to have protected intercourse with her. I have not had any symptoms since then, neither flu like, nor skin based. how much should i be ruling out the possibility of any sexually transmitted infection. I am 24 years of age, and have a girlfriend now with who i m sexually active.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
As you had protected sexual intercourse There is no real risk of any sexually transmitted diseases.
Condom is effective barrier to almost all STDs when used properly.
Oral sex does not transmit HIV. As you don't have any other genital or other symptoms there is no need to worry.You have passed the incubation period of almost all STDs.
As there are no symptoms there is no need for any tests or investigation.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 14 minutes later
thank you very much doctor. i do remember swelling in my foreskin two years ago(i was sexually active), which went away in about 2 days. it was very similar to symptoms resulting from dryness; it hasn't resurfaced since then. could it have been symtoms of gonorrhea, or yeast infection?

as mentioned i havent had any symptoms as such. however i would like to know what chances of gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis or herpes are still present. is there an overall medical test for these stds in India? i belong to jaipur, and would still prefer to be sure, since i am serious with my girlfriend, and would not want a terrible decision a year ago to ruin our marriage possibility

I sincerely appreciate your advise
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 21 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Gonorrhea and herpes are out of question.
They have incubation period within 10 days at the maximum.
Absence of any symptoms in this period rules out the chances of herpes and gonorrhea.
Chlamydia and syphilis may cause asymptomatic latent infection.
To rule out the infection you need to undergo
VDRL test for syphilis.
ELISA for HIV.
PCR test for chlamydia.
All the test are available in standard labs in india.

There is very minimal chance of syphilis or chlamydia without any symptoms.
To be sure of your status you can undergo these tests.
Undergo these tests and let me know with the reports.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 45 hours later
Thank you doctor. one more question- what are the chances of Oropharyngeal gonococcal infection being the cause of earlier Penile edema “bull-headed clap” that appeared 2 years ago, for about 2 days(not resurfaces since then). I was sexully active then as well.

I realize the chances of STD are low, and i will be going for tests soon, but is it possible for gonorrhea to remain latent during these 2 years, and same for syphilis, chalymdya and herpes?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX
The gonorrhoea remaing silently in male is very unlikely.2years is very long time for gonorrhea to be silent.Same is true for herpes and chlamydia also.
Syphilis is the only disease which can go undetected over no.of years.
VDRL or RPR test is essential to rule out the possibility of syphilis. A titre of more than 1:8 is considered positive.even if it comes positive it is very much treatable.Single shot of penicillin cures almost 100 %of infections.
Hope this helps.