What are the repercussions of using Otrvin nasal drops in an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: I accidentally gave my 1year 10month old baby otrvin nasal drops for adults.the package says not to be given to children less than 12 years. What do I do ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query. Let me assure you that although it is meant to be an adult preparation (and thereby the label) it would not harm the child and it is not a cause for concern.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.