What are the repercussions of the accidental ingestion of Flair Rox pen ink?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My 4yr old daughter seem to have accidentally swallowed 'flair rox' gel pen ink. When I noticed her at around 9pm her tongue was completely thick blue. Immediately I cleaned her tongue for about 10 mins and we rushed to hospital. Based on Doctor's advice we gave her lanzol - lansoprazole 15mg and milk to drink. Doctor advised to come back if at all she vomit. Please give us a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry; she will be fine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
A pen contains very little ink and though there are some ingredients which can be harmful if taken for long time, it is present in so little amount that it should not cause any harm. Also, some of the ink was probably removed by you when it came to your notice. Dont worry, your doctor has given you appropriate medicine and she will be alright.
And look for vomiting or diarrhea symptoms. She might then be given medicine accordingly if that occurs.
I have never seen any patient yet to fall sick following accidental ingestion of ink from a pen. So relax.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T