What are the repercussions of the accidental contact of Voltaren gel in eyes?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I got a melted volatern 50mg suppository in my eye, washed it out and i can see just fine, i just want to know if your eyes can absorb drugs and if i should be worried at all.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and I can understand your concern.

The conjunctiva in the eye can absorb drugs in forms of gels and eye drops.Voltaren (Diclofenac) is an anti inflammatory drug and it is available in eye drops too.It is used to treat pain,redness and swelling after some eye surgeries.So the absorption of Voltaren won't cause any major problem.
The accidental contact of Voltaren gel with eyes can cause eye irritation with redness and swelling but since you don't have any symptom of irritation and you can see just fine,you don't need to worry.

Hope it helps.
Please feel free to ask for every question you might have.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati