What are the repercussions of taking an adult dose of Amoxicillin?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 8 year old 75lb child took an adult form of amoxicillin, about 250 mg in pill form, 875 cut in thirds, He is prescribed the children's 250/5ml but it wasn't filled on time. He has an abcess in tooth, is this okay for one or two doses until children's liquid is filled tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Appreciate your ingenuity.
Sure, you can use 1/3 tablet for the time being. It is not accurate and is not recommended in the long run. However it is better than leaving the infection without antibiotic till you get the right preparation.

Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana