question-icon

What are the repercussions of swallowing a plastic piece of fork?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: I think I might have swallow a piece of plastic fork the point part... Is that dangerous ??

Stomach cramps
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I think it will pass in stool itself in few days

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in hcm

I dont think plastic fork piece will harm in any way. It will pass in stool with in 7 days. In case there is associated symptoms like difficulty in swallowing or abdominal pain as you said abdominal cramps, get an endoscooy examination and during endoscopy only, part of the fork can be removed if it is still in oesophagus stomach or duodenum
However if there is no symptoms there ia nothing to worry as it will pass spontaneously especially if it is small in size

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist