What are the repercussions of stopping Prozac and Desyrel cold turkey?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My grandson is 18 years old. and taking a lot of pills under a doctors care . He won't go back to him and wants to stop taking prozac20mg. ,Desyrel 150mg.2 aday, Risperdal2mg., Cogentin1mg. Is it dangerous for him to just stop taking them?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The drug doses should be reduced gradually.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

He is on Prozac or Fluoxetine 20 mg, Desyrel or Trazodone 150 twice a day, Risperidone 2 mg and Cognetin 1 mg per day. Stopping these medicines abruptly might cause withdrawal symptoms and can lead to sleeplessness. So its better to reduce the doses gradually over 4-6 weeks

He can stop taking Prozac whole dose and should wait for a week. After a week the doses of Desyrel should be reduced gradually like 100 mg twice a day for about two weeks and then 50 mg twice a day for two more weeks followed by stopping completely. Risperidone dose can be reduced to 1 mg for 4 weeks and then stopping completely. Cognetin can be stopped instantly. This is the method I'd have advised to my patients.

So if possible advise him to not to stop drugs abruptly and instead reduce the doses gradually.

Talk to his doctor for dose adjustments.

Thanks.