What are the repercussions of overdosing on antidepressants?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I took 60mg of Cymbalta 7 hours ago and 45mg of Oxycontin 4 and a half hours ago and then 1mg of Xanax 3 hours ago and 10mg of Oxycontin 30 minutes ago. I am starting to have a very bad panick attack and i am wondering if I will be okay with the medication I have already taken and which of my prescriptions would be safest to take right now for this panic attack, 1mg of Xanax, 1mg of Klonopin or 1mg of Ativan. I am going to an addiction treatment center tomorrow morning with my brother but im worried im going to overdose before i ever get there, i know i have a problem but please help with my question as i am starting yo have a terrible panick attack.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry you are having a panic attack. Let me discuss how to treat this.

You have taken the following:
Cymbalta 7 hours ago
Oxycontin 45mg 4.5 hours ago
Xanax 1mg 3 hours ago
Oxycontin 10mg 30 minutes ago

I would take Ativan 1mg right now for panic. This is medium acting, rather than slow acting like Klonopin (which might not work fast enough), or fast on fast off like Xanax (which can cause rebound anxiety). Ativan will not cause an overdose. Ativan is a good choice to get your through until you seek addiction treatment in the morning.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak