What are the repercussions of overdose of oral polio vaccine?

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello, I volunteered at a hospital today giving out the oral polio vaccine to children. One child squirmed, and I accidentally gave him well over two drops of the vaccine. He was taken away before I could say anything. Should I be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry about this

Detailed Answer:
Hi....over two drops means I did not understand. But as of now you need not worry.

Few drops more i not going to do any harm.

But if possible I suggest you to follow up the kid.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Unfortunately I have no way to follow up with the child. What could be the possible outcomes of an overdose? If it could potentially be very serious, I would do what I could to find him again.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do nto worry - no risk of over dosage

Detailed Answer:
Hi...There is no risk of overdose, fully immunized children receiving extra doses of OPV will receive extra protection against polio. The vaccine is administered
multiple times to ensure full protection.

Actually - The vaccine is designed to be administered multiple times to ensure full protection. In the tropics where the weather is hot,
more than 4 doses of OPV are required for a child to be fully protected – sometimes more than ten are administered without side effects. Each additional dose further strengthens a child’s immunity level against polio.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 minutes later
Does that apply if the multiple doses were administered all at once? I would not be concerned if they were spaced out, my concern comes from the fact that he ingested so much at once. Thank you very much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Even then do not worry - it might cause some diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hi...even if it is single dose more than 2 drops you need not worry. At the most it might cause it might cause some diarrhea.

But if you have given a whole bottle of multi dose bottle (full and freshly opened) to a single baby then you need to inform it immediately. If you can remember please get back to me with the approximate dose of the vaccine you have administered for the baby.

Regards- Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 minutes later
It was not close to a full bottle. I would estimate 10-20 drops. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral polio is safe - even then with 20 drops - nothing will happen

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Oral polio vaccine is safe. Even then with 20 drops of it, nothing will happen. Please be rest assured.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Instead of a few drips from the bottle, it was more of a quick squirt. I don't quite know how many drops that equals. Sorry for being so persistent, I am just paralyzed with fear that I have potentially poisoned this infant.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need not worry - you have not poisoned the baby

Detailed Answer:
Hi....you need not worry. You have not poisoned the baby. Please be rest assured. Nothing will happen.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology