What are the repercussions of overdose of Codeine prior to a surgery?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: If I take an overdose of codeine right before an operation, what will happen?

Also what are the chances of me becoming sick if i eat before having surgery on my cervical spine!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it may affect anasthesia

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Generally, it should not have some very serious effects on surgery success, but in case of general anasthesia it may have some bad effects. Mainly, food intake prior to surgery So you should not eat at least 12 hours prior to procedure. Such amount of codeine will stay in your system for 1 month and you should tell this to your anashesiologist, although it should not interfere with surgery too much. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T