question-icon

What Are The Repercussions Of Inhaling Dettol Laundry Cleanser?

default
Posted on Thu, 14 Apr 2016
Question: Today i washed my underwasher with dettol laundry cleanser, then i dried it in my room, and my retired room has smell of dettol. Today i eat my dinner in my room while i dried my clothes. Would be the odour harmful? or would it attached dettol to my food?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
If this is one time thing, then nothing to worry about, air the room out

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There have been numerous reports of such circumstances, and dettol is considered harmful when you inhale the fumes on a regular/daily basis, but with the minimal exposure you have had, there is no real cause for concern. I would recommended airing the room out well enough (cross ventilation) so the fumes can escape, and also making sure the rooms and house is well ventilated every time you use dettol in the future to avoid inhalation.

It will not get deposited on the food, but the fumes can be harmful if there is prolonged and repeated exposure to the fumes, so it would best to avoid it in the future.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (20 minutes later)
Thank you for your reply. If dettol is harmful, what alternative way i could use to clean my clothes?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can go the traditional way by using detergent and conditioner

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Use normal cloth detergent and conditioner (optional) sir, it should suffice to soak the clothes in them for a while and either toss it into a washing machine or hand wash them after.

Hope this helps. :)

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9409 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
What Are The Repercussions Of Inhaling Dettol Laundry Cleanser?

Brief Answer: If this is one time thing, then nothing to worry about, air the room out Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There have been numerous reports of such circumstances, and dettol is considered harmful when you inhale the fumes on a regular/daily basis, but with the minimal exposure you have had, there is no real cause for concern. I would recommended airing the room out well enough (cross ventilation) so the fumes can escape, and also making sure the rooms and house is well ventilated every time you use dettol in the future to avoid inhalation. It will not get deposited on the food, but the fumes can be harmful if there is prolonged and repeated exposure to the fumes, so it would best to avoid it in the future. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.