What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of diluted bleach water during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I was served diluted bleach water at a restaurant and I am two months pregnant. I drank a ton of water and milk after it happened and have no symptoms myself I am worried about my baby. Is there a huge chance it was harmed?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Baby is safe.

Detailed Answer:
Diluted bleached water contains a very small amount of bleach in it and is not likely to harm the baby in any way. This can cause some irritation of throat, nose or oral mucosa. This is usually relieved with milk and all these do heal on their own in next few days. No special treatment is needed. Your baby is safe. No need to worry. You can go for your regular antenatal scan and check up when due.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana