question-icon

What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of a piece of plastic container?

default
Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: I might have swallowed a piece of plastic container. Around 7PM last night (EST) I microwaved ice cream that I had put in a small plastic container not meant for this purpose. Noticed a piece of foreign material in my mouth and it was a sharpish piece of plastic. Spit it out and inspected the container. The bottom of the contained had an irregular (about an inch) piece of cracked plastic part of which was missing. Ran my fingers thru the remaining ice cream and didn't find any pieces,leading me to assume I might have eaten some plastic. Did not feel anything actually going down as I swallowed. So I tried to throw up but not much result and then thought I'd better not over do this and cause a problem if plastic was in my stomach. So, ate 4 large shredded wheat cereal with milk, thinking it would mix with the plastic if there. So far feel well and plan to just see how I feel. What do you think? Apprecciate your input.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
hello. it seems not be something dangerous for you. you are okay

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Hope you are doing good. After reading your detailed question I assume you are okay so far because of either of the two options. Either you didn't ingest that plastic part or you threw it out. It isn't causing you any problem so you don't need to worry. But if you feel any sort of pain in stomach or any diarrhea then you need to rush to your nearby doctor to get your xrays done,otherwise its all good. Hope you are satisfied. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin (1 hour later)
I will leave the option open for follow up question but so far okay so will just see what happens. Thanks for your input.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
thank you for your feedback. Keep me posted. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 3941 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of a piece of plastic container?

Brief Answer: hello. it seems not be something dangerous for you. you are okay Detailed Answer: Hello. Hope you are doing good. After reading your detailed question I assume you are okay so far because of either of the two options. Either you didn't ingest that plastic part or you threw it out. It isn't causing you any problem so you don't need to worry. But if you feel any sort of pain in stomach or any diarrhea then you need to rush to your nearby doctor to get your xrays done,otherwise its all good. Hope you are satisfied. Regards