• question-icon

What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of Pedia-Lax liquid glycerin suppository?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi ,

My 7 month old has mistakenly swallowed Pedia.Lax liquid glycerin last night. He seems to be fine but I am little worried and need your opinion.Any help or response is much appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry if baby is asymptomatic

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern as it is mentioned over the suppository that for rectal use only and should not be taken orally.
Glycerine suppository does not has any active medicinal ingredient. Glycerine when used as a suppository works by stimulating the rectal mucosa while when taken orally it acts as an hyperosmotic(which causes increased secretion of water in intestinal wall and thus helps in formation of stool) agent.
The rectal suppository has a wax covering and which if taken through mouth may cause stomach ache, Nausea, vomiting or even loose stool.
I won't get worried as Glycerine suppository does not contains any toxic material and also as the baby is asymptomatic and there is no stomach or feeding problem, playing well, is active without any specific symptoms.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for your quick response Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

I dont see any symptoms like stomach ache or vomitting. Only difference I am seeing is he is sleeping more but just to give you little background information , he got viral fever day before yesterday and was got negative results in strep test so he has some sore throat since 2 days. For more sleeping can weakness be cause ?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
More sleeping is normal in any illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

More sleeping or letharginess is common during any illness.
This happens as body tries to conserve the energy which is lost due to the illness.
Try to give frequent small fluid with plenty of fluids to meet the energy demand.
You need not to worry for more sleeping. Observe for worsening in clinical condition and if you notice any please contact your pediatrician.
Wishing for rapid recovery of your baby.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 14 hours later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX XXXXXXX This is my last question on this thread :

I see some red color rashes started appearing on his leg yesterday and then it starts spreading across face and hand. This morning some were gone while some remained.Just wanted to check if it is not because of glycerine. I have scheduled appointment with his doctor as well on monday but wanted to make sure if something needs to be done. Also I read few blogs where it says it happens after viral fever but need your guidance and opinion please. Thank you very much for all your responses.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Red rashes can be due to allergy or viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Although skin lesions are better explained by direct examination, the way you have described it may be related to viral infection or due to allergy.
To me it does not appears to be related to Glycerine.
Whatever may be the cause I won't get overly worried for those rashes as that was transient and there are no associated significant symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology