What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of Harpic toilet cleaner?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi sir, Im a feeding mother.My son is 4 month old. Accidentally i pour harpic in my mouth, rinsed thoroughly. But still have fear to feed my son. pls help me and suggest me home remidies sir.. pls help me sir
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No fear you can feed

Detailed Answer:
hi,

I understand your concerns.
Let me assure you there is no harm feeding your son.
since any left over harpic goes into your gut and would not affect the breast milk made. the gut tries to neutralise it.

you should continue feeding.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 16 minutes later
Thank u Dr. Can i take usual food dr?... My teeths r not like before mam... I expressed milk thoroughly.. How do I confirm I didn't swallow even a drop of harpic???
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can have non spicy soft food

Detailed Answer:

The teeth would be stained with acid that is there is in Harpic. I suggest you to drink cold milk and chewable calcium tablets.
The sensation on the teeth will soon leave.
You cannot confirm about the gulps of harpic. If you do not have stomach burning, vomiting or diarrhoea within next few hours you should not have swallowed.