What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of Dettol in an infant?
Dont panic; dont give him anything orally until being checked in ER
Thank you for posting your query in Healthcaremagic.com.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.
I understand your concern.
First of all, dont panic, dettol poisoning unless taken in large amount is not life-threatening. Most of the people consuming small amount of dettol dont develop symptoms other than gastric mucosa erosion leading to burning sensation of mouth and throat. Other symptoms can be respiratory distress and drowsiness, nausea, vomiting etc when taken in larger amounts. For that, close monitoring should be done by doctor for development of symptoms.
It is a good sign that your kid is behaving normally and is asymptomatic. But for safety and a thorough clinical examination, I would advice you to take him to ER and get checked. Another reason for such advice is that children cannot express their problems properly and one should not take any risk regarding that.
So though there should not be any problem with your kid, still getting him checked by a doctor clinically should be wise. Till then, dont feed him orally and dont try to make him vomit forcefully. Let the doctors examine him and advice about what to be done next.
Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Throat burning after accidentally ingesting dettol
- Side effects of dettol ingestion
- Remedies for accidental dettol consumption
- Is dettol safe in an infants bath
- Accidentally consume dettol soap
- Accidentally drinking dettol
- Dettol to treat infant eczema?
- What happens if someone accidentally drinks dettol
- Dettol antiseptic infant eczema
- I accidentally swallowed dettol