• question-icon

What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of Dettol in an infant?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in General Health
Question: My 2 yr old son drank small amount of dettol.i gave him water and saline water to drink. He is behaving normally plz help
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dont panic; dont give him anything orally until being checked in ER

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in Healthcaremagic.com.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
First of all, dont panic, dettol poisoning unless taken in large amount is not life-threatening. Most of the people consuming small amount of dettol dont develop symptoms other than gastric mucosa erosion leading to burning sensation of mouth and throat. Other symptoms can be respiratory distress and drowsiness, nausea, vomiting etc when taken in larger amounts. For that, close monitoring should be done by doctor for development of symptoms.
It is a good sign that your kid is behaving normally and is asymptomatic. But for safety and a thorough clinical examination, I would advice you to take him to ER and get checked. Another reason for such advice is that children cannot express their problems properly and one should not take any risk regarding that.
So though there should not be any problem with your kid, still getting him checked by a doctor clinically should be wise. Till then, dont feed him orally and dont try to make him vomit forcefully. Let the doctors examine him and advice about what to be done next.

Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 23 minutes later
Thank u
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

You are welcome.
Regards.
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta