What are the repercussions of Vyvanse overdose?

Posted on Mon, 1 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: am prescribed 70mg of vyvanse. I took roughly 120mg today because I worked from 4am this morning to 9:30p. I had a few "heart palpitations"- my heart felt like it was fluttering and would beat hard a few times then skip a beat and take my breath away. It made me very panicky. Immediately after this happened I took 1mg of the Xanax I had left over from my prescription. I want to know if there are any I'll side effects and what I should watch out for tonight to ensure that I am safe. I realize this is dangerous and won't repeat the process. Just want to ensure my safety as I have said
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Never take more than 70 mg of Vynase

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
Vynase is an amphetamine derivative , prescribed for various condition .
The maximum prescribed dose is 70 mg / day and by no means you should exceed the same .
Many doctors start with 30 mg daily as 70 is the upper limit . You are already on maximum safe dose .
All the symptoms you have described are for sure due to vynase overdose . As an amphetamine congener it will increase your heart rate causing palpitation , increase blood pressure and make your heart pump more vigorously causing a thud or missed beat like feeling . It can cause serious problem like heart attack , bleeding in the brain an likewise , so never try to be be adventurous with the medicine, also there is no added benefit with higher dose
By just staying withen nomral dose , we would be bale to prevent such an episode in future .
Let me know if any furthur clarification is needed .
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist