What are the repercussion of viral encephalitis?

Posted on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I contracted Viral encephalitis 5&1/2 years ago. Put me in a 3 day coma. What is the likelihood that I will continue to fight complications?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your current clinical condition?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I would like to address your concerns about the after-effects of viral encephalitis at best here,but I need to know about your current clinical situation.As long enough time has passed(more than 5 years) so the prognosis and future complications, are more or less,an extension of your current situation, and depend on how have you been in all these years after the illness.Do you,at present, suffer from any of the complications?

Please follow up with further details,so that I can answer this well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 21 hours later
Complications - yes.
I am still on anti seizure medication. Keppra works well for me.
I re-learned to walk (now walk 3 miles a morning if the weather permits)
I am still re-learning to play the violin
I swim, go to the gym
Sleep has improved from 22 hours a day to 8-9 hours
I installed a treadmill desk to overcome the afternoon slump (I am avoiding all artificial stimulants)
My balance is very poor - I purchased a 3 wheeled recumbent instead of riding a standard road bike (yes I wear a helmet!)
Ears ring constantly
I am still easily overwhelmed by chaos (I have developed coping skills) I can control my personal environment and do so well
General sense of muscle weakness and extreme fatigue that 50-65 percent of the time I can push through
Numbness tingling in hands feet knees and face and scalp
Memory 'holes'
Short term memory is acceptable - I write everything down. However I feel competent to do my job as H/R director wish includes payroll and safety
I am currently working 6 hours per day (workmen 10 prior)
I am spending 4 to 6 hours per day on physical workouts. If I slack off - I find that my endurance coping skills, clarity, balance, etc suffer and regress
Resting pulse is 68-73
Blood pressure 110/60
Lab is good except for triglycerides -
Need to loose another 26 lbs - doing so slowly. But doing it

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue physical/mental rehabilitation and seizure medications.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up and providing further details.

Apparently, you are on a gradually improving trend and the credit all goes to your strong will power and hard work towards your body.

When did the last seizure occur? Please continue Keppra for now and carry on with dedicated physical/mental rehabilitation efforts.I am hopeful that you will improve further.

Besides,I need to have a look at your MRI report and case summary at the time of illness.If possible,please upload your medical documents.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist