• question-icon

What are the repercussion of Atenolol overdose?

Posted on Thu, 9 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Took 65 mg atenolol by mistake. Usual dose is 25 mg. Prescription is for 25 mg and container had a mistake and mixed the two doses.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that this is not a toxic dose for atenolol. The maximal daily dose of this drug is up to 200mg daily.

So relax!

The main possible adverse effects related to this dose (if your body does not tolerate it well) could be low blood pressure and low heart rate, tiredness.

I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure and heart rate.

I would also recommend you to avoid physical activity during the day for the next 12 hours. After this period, the effects of this dose of atenolol will gradually disappear.

If your blood pressure or heart rate is too low, you should go to the ER.

Anyway, as I explained above this is not a really high dose of atenolol.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist