Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

What are the red bumpy rashes on my forearms and scrotum that keep spreading ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
hi,i have a red bumpy rash that seems to be spreading EVERY where on my body.It started on my forearms and my scrotum and now is on my chest,back,neck,hands(palms),feet(soles),legs, upper arms. Seen three doctors,two of which said it was scabies,the other did not know and gave me a steriod cream which did seem to help the appearance but not cure the problem...i've used the scabies cream twice and did all the cleaning and washing of cloths,bedding,etc with no's only mildly itchy at times,hasn't caused any scabing or puss and doesn't seem to be spreading to anyone around me,most notably my girlfriend who i am in constant contact with and has a decreased immune system due to 2 lung disorders ,shows no signs or has been almost 4 months now and shows no signs of getting better
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
The red bumpy rash that has spread all over your body with occasional itching can be due to -
1.Dermatitis- skin irritation due to soaps, cosmetics, fibres, etc.
2.Allergy- may be to a food item you consume very often like gluten sensitivity. Try to remain on a gluten free diet for a few days and see if it gets relieved.
3. Eczema- Dryness and red spots appear due to itching. An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.

If the patches become more of purple rather than red then you must consult your dermatologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor