Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

What are the reasons for sore and enlarged breast?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7228 Questions

I am 33 and I have always been 34B bra size. Since 2 years ago my breasts are getting bigger and they are very sore. I have gone uptown 34D. I was wondering why is that and is there a way to stop it or go back

Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

There are several reasons for sore and enlarged breasts. I would list out one after the other.

-use of oral contraceptives: introduction of new pills can cause changes in the breasts as the hormonal milieu is disturbed; this settles in course of time as the body adjusts to the new pill. If this does not happen, you have to report the matter to your doctor.

-fibrocystic breast disease: this is a benign breast condition observed in half of the women of the child-bearing age. The breast tissue undergoes changes due to shifts in the estrogen and progesterone hormone levels. The breasts are enlarged and sore. the symptoms are more pronounced in the upper outer quadrant and the underside of the breast. Sometimes cysts develop in the breast tissue. A cyst may be aspirated to know the cause.

Definite treatment may not be possible but dietary regulation by avoiding caffeine, fat and intake of nutritional supplements, evening primrose oil, and avoidance of smoking is found to be helpful. Pain relievers along with a firm well supported bra and application of heat can help relieve the symptoms. Danazol can be reserved for the worst cases.

Premenstrual changes and early pregnancy can be ruled out in your case as your symptoms have been persisting for the past two years.

-precancerous or early cancerous stages are the last and the least suspected; pain is a rare accompaniment and with such a long history there would definitely be more symptoms.

You should see a specialist- a surgeon or a gynecologist, have a physical examination and get investigated. It would be advisable to have a hormonal assay and a mammogram after excluding the presence of any pregnancy. This should clinch the diagnosis. Once this is done, management of the condition is easy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor