• question-icon

What are the reasons for having menstrual cycle twice in one month?

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: For the past 3 months I have been having 2 menstrual cycles a month (starting in March). The first menstrual cycle will occur between the 4th-6th every month, and the second menstrual cycle will occur between the 21st-25th. The are short menstrual cycles (about 2 1/2 days each on average).
I have been really stressed at work the past few months, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. My question is what could be causing 2 menstrual cycles in one month that come at the same time every month? Also, when would I be ovulating twice a month?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound and thyroid hormone levels advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your anxiety related to the issue.
This is usually due to change in lifestyle like crash dieting, new exercise schedule or acute stress or illness like fever with chills.
In some cases there can be hormonal imbalance most commonly of thyroid hormone or missing contraceptive pills and at times there can be an ovarian cyst.
So since you are having these symptoms since march you need to get thyroid hormone levels checked and get a pelvic ultrasound at the earliest.
Get the reports and then we can discuss further management.
Also yes there can still be ovulation so keep taking contraceptive measures as before.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN