question-icon

What are the present blood pressure limitations for high blood pressure?

Posted on Sat, 18 Jan 2014
Question: What are the present blood pressure limitations for high blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Detailed below Detailed Answer: Dear Sir. Thanks for sharing with us. Current Joint National Committee 8 guidelines recently released suggest us that general population aged ≥60 years should treated by medicines to lower blood pressure (BP) at systolic blood pressure (SBP) ≥150 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure (DBP) ≥90 mm Hg and treat to a goal SBP <150 mm Hg and goal DBP. I have shared with you this part of guideline beacuse you are > 60 years of age. In general , if you are a hypertensive , you should get following baseline investigations: 1. Kidney function test 2. Ecg 3. Xray Chest 4. Lipid profile 5. Urine for albumin. 6. Fundus (eye examination) for retinopathy. If you blood pressure is <150 / 80 mmgHg without medications , you require low salt diet , low fat diet , regular exercise. If it is more you require pharmacological treatment. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Anshul Varshney