What are the possible side effects from withdrawal from Clonidine?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what r the physical effects of clonidine withdrawal?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shakiness, nervousness, headache, increased blood pressure, but not in all.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, some people do get side effects from withdrawal from Clonidine. The most common things people experience are nervousness, headaches, shakiness and tremors. The blood pressure can also go up, particularly if you were on a high dose before.

I don't know what period of time your doctor tapered you off of the Clonidine, but it sounds like he/she did not have you stop it abruptly.

Whether you experience side effects depends on how slowly it was discontinued, how long you were on it, and also varies from one individual to the next.

If you are having significant problems with withdrawal, I would suggest calling your doctor and letting him/her know so that he or she can help you.

I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if there is anything further I can help clarify or answer on this topic.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh