• question-icon

What are the possible effects of Zentel in pregnancy?

Posted on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,
My wife took Zentel 400mg(2 tablets) on 5th and 15th Jun 2016 & probably around the same time as when she got pregnant which she did not know. She just checked pregnancy test on 24th Jun which was positive. Please advice how will this affect her pregnancy? How harmful if any to the fetus & development of the baby. Desperstely worried.
Her LMP was 20/05/2016.

This is her 2nd pregnancy and the 1st pregnancy was on XXXXXXX 2016 which had to abort because it was an ANEMBRYONIC gestation.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No harm done

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Albendazole is best avoided during pregnancy.
However most women with inadvertent exposure to the drug do not show a higher incidence of abnormalities in the baby.
While I understand your anxiety and concern , I do not think just 2 tablets will harm your baby.
Please go through this scientific link
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000
ro

Relax and take care.
All the best this time.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN