What are the possible causes of intermittent sharp lower back stabbing pains?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What are the possible causes of sharp lower back stabbing pains on and off during the night!
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you this there can be multiple causes but most common will be mechanical low back pain in which there is disc degenerstive changes and due to compression of nerves there is radiating pain which comes on and off as and when the nerve is affected . Other thing can be spondyloarthropathy which causes pain specially when turning in bed . Other rare causes can be discitis , metastasis etc. I will advise you to see an orthopaedician for this as physical examination and certain tests like straight leg raising test will be required for this and making the diagnosis . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 hours later
Could this pain in lower back on side be kidney related?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Yes it can be but generally it is accompanied by vomiting or nausea along with spasmodic severe pain that doesnt usually settles by it own with radiation to back . It is present in lower qudrant of abdomen rather than back . But yes USG abdomen will be advisable to look for any stones . Dr. Shruti