What are the possibilities of normal delivery after C-section?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 2 Nov 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor, my wife delivered a baby in August 2017 through cesarean section. She is due to deliver her second baby in couple of weeks. The baby position for the past 2 months is cephalic which is very much suitable for a normal delivery but my doctors says since the first basy was thru C-Section, chances of delivering the second normal delivery are very rare and hence she is advising us for C-section, please confirm if this is completely true also please confirm if Boostrix - Tdap/Dtap vaccine is it compulsory as 3rd dose of TT?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Chances of normal delivery are less than 30%.

Detailed Answer:

Your wife had a C-section just 7 months ago. She can't be pregnant for more than 7 months now if her previous C-section was done in August last year.

After a C-section usually it is advised to have a gap of at least three years before planning for next pregnancy so that the scar of surgery is properly healed and strong.

After a C-section the chances of having a normal delivery next time are not more than 30% and that also if everything goes normal and the spontaneous labor pains start in the 9th month.

You need to wait till the 9th month and then get an ultrasound scan done to assess baby's growth and well being and then after a detailed physical examination and onset of pains can we say that the chances of normal delivery are there.

Before the onset of pains the chances are less than 30% of having a normal delivery.

She needs only a single dose of Dtap vaccine as a booster dose during this pregnancy. It reduces the chances of neonatal tetanus and is considered necessary.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your response. Sorry there was a typo. It was August 2016.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

It is just one and a half years since her previous C- section. Be careful and go for regular antenatal checkup.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D