What are the possibilities of contracting brain eating amoebas from tap water in Neti Pot?
User rating for this question
Hi, I just bought a Neti Pot and, unfortunately, used tap water for my first rinse. I then noticed online about several people having contracted brain eating amoebas from using tap water in Neti Pots. Is there anything I can do at this point such as re-rinse with sanitized water or put polysporin in my nose or take some antibiotics? Am I in great danger? Also, I live in Missouri and the water has been cold here for some time if that has any bearing.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am assuming that you have a ceramic Neti pot and all you have to do now is that take some hot water and rinse out the pot nicely and also a couple of drops of betadine or any other mouth gargle which will make sure that the pot gets very cleaned. After you clean the pot you must allow it to completely dry and then use it. Don't worry about the amoeba but of course make sure that you use good clean water only as the water has to flush out your sinuses and it definitely must be clean. The cold climate has no direct bearing on the pot but make sure you do get nice clean and warm water to rinse Hope this clears your doubts and hope the pot clears your sinuses! any other doubts do get back to me regards Dr Sriram Nathan