What are the possibilities of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia relapse post treatment?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear Sir,
My girlfriend is a Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia patient.she was diagnosed with ALL in 2006 and after one year of treatment she was reported as cured.she was treated with chemotherapy in TATA MEMORIAL CANCER HOSPITAL in XXXXXXX , XXXXXXX I just want to know what are the possibilities of relapse in her case? Can we get married and have normal sex life? normal child? spend a normal life? what could be the maximum expected life span of a ALL patient?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes normal life is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As since 2006, nine years have passed, chances of ALL relapsing is very low now. Almost nil. Her life span is expected to be normal.

You can certainly get married and have normal life including sex life. But fertility may be reduced by chemo. Chemo damages ovarian cells which may be permanent. It will be a good idea to get a consultation from fertility expert beforehand.

Hope this helps.