Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What are the options for disc injuries ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 43 Questions
I've recently re-injured my back. I am a 49 year old woman who is 5'6'' and 190 lbs. My mri from 4 years ago shows some mild bulging discs at L5-s1 and l4-5, moderate arthrosis with mild capsulitis on the left. A small facet capsular cyst is present in right facet. Disc bulge at l2-3 with superimposed annular tear extending through the ivf. Mild capsulitis of the posterior joints. This was a result of trauma, and as I said, I fear I've reinjured it. What are the options for these injuries?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 47 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Multiple bulging discs is not considered to be significant for a 49 year old, unless its painful or impinging against one of your spinal nerves. The treatment, thus depends on what's your current symptoms.

1. It would be better if you could elaborate on the symptoms present? Are they intolerable and decapacitating you?
2. Do you have any muscular weakness?
3. Do you suffer with difficulty in walking or doing your routine works?
4. Do you have any history of Diabetes, Hypertension or any surgery?
5. Are you on any regular medications?

If asymptomatic or you have mild and tolerable pain, back strengthening exercises would be of help.

Please write back to me in detail, so that I can help you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor