What are the microscopic particles swimming in semen called?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: Tiny things swimming in semen but are way to small to be sperm. If the microscope was at 40x they look like sperm. But these things arnt visible until 400x. There as small as sperm at 40x
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
sperms can be seen only with specially prepared semen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist,let me assure you that semen needs, specially prepared medium to see sperms, under the microscope.
Hope your doubt is cleared.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 26 minutes later
Well I just wait for mine to liquefy and I see them perfectly and bacteria and everything else. I'll upload a picture were you can clearly see sperm. Unfortunately the things I'm seeing cannot be seen on a picture they are that small. Actually if they didn't move you would never see them. Sperm I can see them with detail.

My question is what's in semen that swims or moves that's smaller than sperm? There so small I can't tell how they move but they move very quick faster than sperm and they will move in spurts very quick. Like they will zoom down or up or sideways quickly and they seem to never be alone were there is one there is another sometimes it looks like they spin when they movement

The next picture is what I'm seeing but a little smaller. Minus the sperm you will see tiny black dots. There like that but a little smaller and they swim
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sperms are seen in different shapes and sizes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Semen are diluted in saline and specially mounted after preparation, on slides.
Then you can see the sperms clearly, in their different shapes and sizes.
There are different stages of growth of the sperm.
Initially, there're what's called primary spermatocytes and then mature to the full sized normal shaped sperms, called the mature sperms.
You may be seeing the primary spermatocytes, which are much smaller in size.
There're also abnormal sperms. Abnormal in shape and size.
Then there're other cells, like WBC's,epithelial cells,etc.
You could be seeing one of those.
Hope your doubt's cleared.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 31 minutes later
What's a primary sperm? Can it fertilize an egg? I doubt its sperm no tail at least visible 400x. And they arnt even a fourth the size of sperm. I dont know what it could be unless they are just sperm that can barely be seen 400x

I found what they are YouTube contaminated lymphatic endothelial cell culture

What bacteria is that that's exactly what it looks like
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Primary spermatocytes incapable of fertilization.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
The primary spermatocyte, is the first stage of sperm formation.
They are not capable of fertilization, as they aren't mature.
You're right in that, bacteria can also be seen, more clearly on a stained and prepared slide, with dark phase contrast microscopy.
There're many abnormal forms of sperms, like micro head, etc.
There're also many other cell forms seen.
I appreciate your curiosity,which very few have. Keep it up.