question-icon

What are the medical tests that can be conducted to determine if the heart is functioning properly?

Posted on Sun, 21 Oct 2018
Question: Hi Doctor, sometimes my apple watch detects an elevated heart rate (above 120bpm) even when I am seated and not performing any strenuous activity. I will attach the recent history of elevated heart readings that I have received when I was seated. Please let me know if there is any cause for concern? Is there any medical test that can be conducted to determine if my heart is functioning properly? In my last medical test conducted in Nov 2017 there was an indication that I had a higher level of cholestrol - for this I am exercising on a regular basis. Attaching medical reports as well. Thanks in advance for your help!
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and safety and it seems like your watch is probably malfunctioning. Overall also these smart watches are still in development for accurate heart rate monitoring.

But still we should give it a benefit of doubt. I would like to suggest you to get one 48 hrs Holter monitoring done. It's basically a recording of ECG continuously for 48 hrs while you carry on with daily routine activities. This way we can catch if any irregular event happens.

Rest your cholesterol levels are just slightly deranged and can very well be taken care with healthy lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist