• question-icon

What are the medical properties of Vraylar?

Posted on Thu, 2 Nov 2017 in Mental Health
Question: i like to know informatiion about new drug vraylar(cariprazine).
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know what information you need

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I am a psychiatrist by profession and well versed with the medication called cariprazine.

It will be better if you can specify your query so I can answer you.

However before you post your query I like to inform you that it is an atypical antipsychotics which has different pattern of action on dopamine and serotonin receptors in compare to other available antipsychotics. Due to this specific action it is one of the best option for negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia where other antipsychotics have limited effect.

I look forward to assist you further.
Thanks again.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 11 minutes later
my question is how much the improvement on negative symptoms for shizophrenia ( like alogia,amotivation,anhedonia...)on vraylar? and how much the improvement if we compared it with abilify?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

There is around 30-40% more improvement in negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia with cariprazine.

For example one of the study, which compared abilify with cariprazine found that negative symptoms of schizophrenia showed much better results with cariprazine in compare to aripiprazole. Since both the medications are partial agonists at the dopamine receptors some of the researchers named it better form of abilify.

I hope this answers you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
thx doctorr u save me with ur help. final question u can give me the improvement i each negative symptoms( 7 items like alogia.amotivation,,anhedonia..)and the improvement on postive symptoms on this drug? and thx a lot. i am totaly satisfied you deserve 5 etoiles
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

There is limited data on individual symptoms but it appears that there is maximum effect on amotivation, anhedonia and alogia while there is limited effect on affective flattening.

Similarly the asocial attitude (another negative symptoms of schizophrenia) can have upto 50% reduction leading to great social engagement and functioning when treated with Cariprazine.

I hope this serves the purpose.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist