• question-icon

What are the medical properties of Codeine?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor,
I am having issue with my health.. I think i may have disorder but don't know the type. I see myself too cool and soft. My voice isn't going fast from my mouth, I record my voice with my phone and listen to how words move from my mouth, it slow. But without using phone record, I can feel that my words is going fast real life. Though I have been taking codeine as medication to eaze my attention whenever am facing difficulties. When things are moving positively, I am able to do without taking the codeine. But whenever life brings it's challenge all I could think of is to get a syrup of codeine to eaze my attention. I have been took codeine in this 2days. I need advice on how to go with my health. I will appreciate educating me more on this. I also have trust issue, sometimes I close trust in people when they get close to me.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

From what you describe the root of your problems is anxiety. I do not think that you should worry about how the words come out when you record (not sure why you go and do that really) the change is simply due to anxiety, certainly is not indicative of any brain lesion.
You should be careful with Codeine, it is not used for the purpose you describe, it is used (not commonly) for pain or cough. It is an opioid, can lead to addiction.

Given your young age I would try to avoid medications, at least initially. You should try psychotherapy. It is the best way to learn relaxation methods, negative thinking patterns and how to cope with them.
Also physical activity like jogging or in particular yoga are helpful.

Only if those do not work may medication be discussed.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 32 minutes later
Thank you for the education and I will heed to your advice. I just lose my temper and hitted my girlfriend. I can't control this, I guess I will have to go and report this at the nearest police station.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I am really sorry for what has happened. Perhaps if you apologize to your girlfriend she won't report you to the police. But whether that happens or not this episode reinforces the previous suggestion about psychotherapy being necessary.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
I was stop by my neighboring not to go to Police station. But I need help to get myself out of this state. My girlfriend is now away from me so I could get time to relax myself. I was questioning her and she gave me a silent treatment, I ask her a question which she already told me about but denied of it. This got me to lose my temper. I will accept all the fault but still want her away from me. I need to quit with her cause this will safe me and her. She's the only lady I ever lay my hands on.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist