What are the long term effects of hormonal pills for irregular periods?

Question
Hi Doctor,

I am a PCOD patient . Got my menses at age 10+ and i have consumed a lot of hormonal pills since many years. I had to consume the pills as my menses would not stop and i had to use the pill forcefully to stop the menses. During my teenage I had consumed for 3 months(Novelon may be when 14 yrs) then after a gap again for 3 months(Femilon may be when 15) then after some gap again for 3 months(Femilon : 16+ yrs). Then few years I was not doing any allopathy medicine. Then I came to XXXXXXX in 2010 Nov. Since then again I started with the pill (5 months Femilon 21+yrs), then after few month gap again I had Diane for few month and again some gap in between. Then since July 2013 I am continuously on Krimson 35 (14 months now)

Is there any risk for such long term use of the pill?

Also I had used the pill(Novelon) at age 12 or 11 to stop my continuous flow of periods which used to extend for more than 10 days, Can there be any risks there as well?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
HI,

The long term effects of hormonal tablets are

1) Worsens Blood clots in the arms, legs, or lungs

2) Worsens heart or liver disease

3) Cancer of the breast or uterus ( still under study)

Please read that it WORSENS blood clots and heart/liver diseases but does not as such cause it.

So if you already do not have heart , liver disease or history of clots then there will not be any problem

Also long term use causing cancer of breast and uterus is still under study and not always present.

All the medication which you have written have these side effects , some more and some less.

But if you already do not have heart or liver disease or blood clots then you do not need to worry.

Cancer can occur in a small set of women but if the medicines are stopped before it occurs then there is nothing to worry.

No pill should be used more than 5 years continously.

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of hormonal pills for irregular periods? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,

I am planning for a baby in next 6 months. Shall i continue the pill for the next 3 months?

Since I am Pcod patient, will I have problem conceiving? On average how long would it generally take a pcod patient to conceive?

Will the patients with pcos have irregular period throughout their reproductive years, or are there any chances that it can be regularized? Also I am having irregularty since menstuation at 11 years.

Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

1) NO.Do not use pill anymore. If you want baby after 3 months then use condoms till then.

2) PCOD patients take time to conceive generally 6 month.

3) TIll PCOD is not cured she will have irregular periods.

Chances of regularization is less now since you have tried for so long and still it has not regularized.

Dr. Som MD